Thursday, February 16, 2012
Born To Die by Lana Del Rey
Born To Die
Lana Del Rey grew up Lizzy Grant in Lake Placid on the outer edges of New York State. Herein some of her unique music flavour was incubated. `It has an epic, nostalgic feel. It's in the middle of a national park that is six hours from New York City. But it's also a struggle because it's a town built on tourism that no-one goes to anymore.'
At 18, she fulfilled her lifelong ambition of decamping to New York City. `Since I was little I knew I would end up there,' she says, `Every day is a pleasure there. Every single day I walk out of the door is a good day. I like everything about it. New York totally rewards me for my love of it.'
Lana Del Rey's direct influences were visual as well as musical; David Lynch, soundtracks for `50s black and white movies, the whirring sound of the Ferris at Coney Island, fame itself. She lived in a New Jersey trailer park and decked her homestead in flags, streamers and seasonally inappropriate Christmas lights. `All the things I love,' she notes. This was Lana's world now and it needed to sparkle.
She intends to work with hip-hop heavyweights, with the future-perfect foot soldiers at the coal face of exciting pop. `I know it is going to take a lot of work to get there. But that's OK when you have people around you who believe in you. The record is going to be gorgeous. That much we know. Whether or not it will work? That much we don't know.'
As for the inevitable stardom that will come her way? That is something Lana Del Rey does not fear. `I know a lot of different people. When they are drunk, in the dark of the night they all want the same thing. They all want to be famous. It's innately human to want other people to bear witness to your life. It's important for people to be watched. They don't want to be alone. I don't want to be alone.'
Born to Die is the second studio album and major label debut by American singer-songwriter Lana Del Rey. The album was released on January 27, 2012 on iTunes and on January 31, 2012 on Interscope Records, Polydor Records, and Stranger Records. After signing a record contract with Stranger in June 2011, the singer released her debut single, "Video Games", which is considered as the one that propelled the singer's online popularity. Del Rey then started to give interviews to several newspapers and online magazines, as well as making live appearances to promote her work. The album's second single, "Born to Die", was released on December 30, 2011. Born to Die debuted at number-one on the UK Albums Chart upon release, having shifted over 117,000 copies. The album also topped the chart in Ireland and reached the top five in Belgium, Norway and Poland.
No. Title Writer(s) Producer(s) Length
1. "Born to Die" Lana Del Rey, Justin Parker Emile Haynie 4:46
2. "Off to the Races" Del Rey, Tim Larcombe Patrick Berger, Haynie 5:00
3. "Blue Jeans" Del Rey, Haynie, Dan Heath Haynie 3:29
4. "Video Games" Del Rey, Parker Parker, Robopop 4:41
5. "Diet Mountain Dew" Del Rey, Mike Daly Haynie, Jeff Bhasker* 3:42
6. "National Anthem" Del Rey, Parker, The Nexus Haynie 3:50
7. "Dark Paradise" Del Rey, Rick Nowels Haynie, Nowels* 4:03
8. "Radio" Del Rey, Parker Haynie 3:34
9. "Carmen" Del Rey, Parker Haynie, Bhasker^ 4:08
10. "Million Dollar Man" Del Rey, Chris Braide Haynie, Braide 3:51
11. "Summertime Sadness" Del Rey, Nowels Haynie, Nowels* 4:25
12. "This Is What Makes Us Girls" Del Rey, Jim Irvin, Larcombe Al Shux, Haynie 4:00