Thursday, December 29, 2011

Auld Lang Syne by Guy Lombardo

Auld Lang Syne by Guy Lombardo When I was growing up Guy Lombardo and his Royal Canadians were New Years Eve at my house. Guy and his band, which included an array of relatives playing somewhat corny arrangements straight out of someone's 1920s basement, were a harbinger of of optimism and launching a year that would surely be good. Well, those days are gone, what with a semi-comatose Dick Clark and Times Square filled with anti-terrorist police....Jennifer Lopez looking naked in a gold body something or other. Ok, so having forgotten Lombardo but reading somewhere that Guy's band was Louis Armstrong's favorite I downloaded this album from Amazon and ever since have been jazzed up for the New Year. The recording is quite good, the band enthusiastic, and the sound crisp and clean. When I hear Kenny Gardner doing 'The Music Goes Round and Round' tis wonderful. These guys played with precision and care. I should say that I am a big band fanatic and have hundreds and hundreds of albums, having once owned and directed one myself. My basement is full of Duke, Count, Stan Kenton, Bob Florence, Ted Heath, and even the irrepressible Brian Setzer. Probably every big band dvd ever made. So, I do not recommend this one lightly. I think more are a one click away. More Guy Lombardo Collections: Guy Lombardo Into the Fifties Into the Fifties Essential Collection: Guy Lombardo Essential Collection: Guy Lombardo

No comments: