Across a Crowded Room is an album by Richard Thompson released in 1985.
In 1984 Thompson's management negotiated a contract with Polydor which gave him some financial security for the first time in over a decade. Across A Crowded Room was the first album recorded under this new contract. Thompson retained Joe Boyd as producer, but this was to be the last album that Thompson would record with Boyd behind the controls and the last studio album he would record in England.
Across a Crowded Room was the first Richard Thompson album to be simultaneously released on vinyl and CD.
All songs written by Richard Thompson
1. "When The Spell Is Broken"
2. "You Don't Say"
3. "I Ain't Going To Drag My Feet No More"
4. "Ghosts In The Wind"
5. "Fire In The Engine Room"
6. "Walking Through A Wasted Land"
7. "Little Blue Number"
8. "She Twists The Knife Again"
9. "Love In A Faithless Country"
The above listing reflects the songs and sequence on the original LP release. The original CD issue included an extra track, "Shine On Love" and had a different running order. Subsequent CD re-issues have reflected the sequence and song selection shown above.
* Richard Thompson - guitar,vocals
* Bruce Lynch - bass guitar
* Dave Mattacks - drums
* Dave Bitelli - alto saxophone
* Pete Thomas - tenor saxophone
* Simon Nicol - guitar
* Christine Collister, Phil Barnes, Clive Gregson and The Soultanas - backing vocals
* Alan Dunn - accordion
* Philip Pickett - shawm, crumhorn, recorder and symphony.